Wednesday 11 September 2013

Changes at the pool

I haven't blogged for a couple of days because the migrant birds on the small farm have been almost the same each day. I have been seeing 3-4 spotted flycatcher, 4-6 common whitethroat and 1-2 wryneck each and everyday.

There have also been the odd shrike and wheatear but its almost like time is on-hold. No new birds arrive and none seem to leave. Its probably something to do with easterly wind or the continued very hot weather or both?

wood sandpiper

Luckily the situation is different at the pool just outside the farm and which is also on the way to work. Two grey wagtail have been faithful all week and the resident collared dove, laughing dove and crested lark are frequent visitors to it. 

However a few varied passage birds have been coming and going. This afternoon, it was the turn of nine wood sandpiper and one common sandpiper to make an appearance.

six of the nine wood sandpipers

I am pretty sure they were exhausted because they just ignored me in plain sight.

apparently different sized wood sandpipers

I was fooled for a while because they appeared to be in two sizes which made me question their identity. However I have now put this down to posture.

common sandpiper

At the beginning of the week for a couple of days, a greater short toed lark was frequenting the edges of the pool. I have never seen one of these within the city before.

greater short toed lark

Yellow wagtail have come and gone. There have been 5  sub-species, the latest two were flava.


flava yellow wagtail

I am not sure how long the grey wagtail will stay. It depends on whether the pool runs dry. Its created by some sort of dewatering project and water flow is not regular.

grey wagtail

In the farm's gardens, the only new bird for this season that I managed to photograph was a red-backed shrike though a Daurian shrike was present yesterday afternoon.

young or female red-backed shrike

I have been amazed both in spring and autumn how popular the place is with wryneck. However I have shown plenty of photographs already.

another spotted flycatcher

I would expect other warblers and chats to start arriving in the next few days along with a couple more types of pipit (to go with one red throated pipit seen last week). Let's see if I am right.

early morning common whitethroat

Among the resident birds,  one small development has been the sudden increase in sightings and numbers of rose ringed parakeet.

desert wheatear

Yesterday I saw three in one tree and five in flight over the farm. This morning seven flew over.

young or female rose ringed parakeet

However I would rather see more migrants. Surely, its only a matter of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment